Friday, December 10, 2010

Listomania! - 1996

1996 turned out to be a very busy year. Martina was accepted into the Master's Journalism program at UWO, so she had to turn most of her attention to that endeavour. She was tired of working in menial jobs and wanted to pursue a career that she would find more fulfilling and interesting. Being an English major, she decided that studying to be a journalist would be a great way to put her many talents to the best use. She excelled, of course, and we all had fun listening to her do the sports on the university radio station. As for me, I became shop steward on the night shift at Loeb. We were Teamsters, famously once led by Jimmy Hoffa, who, according to legend, now rests in the end zone at the old Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey. I took on this position because I was tired of the same people running the union. There was a terrible, antagonistic relationship betwween the union and management, and I stupidly thought I could help rectify that situation. I was good friends with a couple of people in management and, while I had their ear and their respect, the bad blood was so entrenched that I don't believe anyone could have made it better. It was a stressful and interesting time, for sure. I remember that there was to be a city-wide protest of the then Mike Harris provincial government and their anti-worker policies. I passed out flyers and did my best to rally the troops to take the day off and march in the protest. It was about -20 that day, so I donned my snowsuit and set out for the fairgrounds to meet up with all the protesters. I expected only about 10 of our guys to show up, but the apathy of my fellow members was rampant, so I would be happy with only 10 out of about 200 workers. Now, this was a huge deal, backed by all of organized labour and all the big unions like the CAW. So, I got there and looked around...and not 1 single soul from my workplace showed up. I was quite disappointed, but I marched in the bone-chilling cold anyway. Some would say that I was foolish to try and do this job, but I really needed to see from the inside just how things were done and how decisions were made. I left less than impressed with the Canadian branch of the Teamsters, but it was a great learning experience overall. Here are some of the tunes that I was listening to that year:

10. In A Room - Dodgy

This power trio was considered a part of the Brit Pop movement, but their sound really owed much to classic Who. The thumping drums are very Keith Moon-like and the guitars are played with a Townshendian vigour and feel. This song comes from their 3rd and best album Free Peace Sweet. The melody is quite memorable and it is a great tune to groove along with. The vocals are very British Invasion with the 3 part harmonies and "ooohs" as well and I enjoy bands that wear their influences proudly and well. "She lies sleeping in a half- filled bed, her eyes no longer study her emptiness." Her eyes are studying the back of her eyelids methinks......

9. Burden In My Hand - Soundgarden

Taken from their 5th and final album, Down On The Upside, this tune is one of their best in my eyes. It very melodic for them, without losing their hard edge. Frontman Chris Cornell is still a powerhouse with his sandpaper vocals. But, it is the instruments that are king here. Kim Thayll still plays a mean lead guitar, not really soloing out, but hitting all the right marks. Ben Shepherd is still one of my fave bass players and on this song, his playing is so bouncy and acts almost like a lead instrument. Drummer Matt Cameron can lay down a timely beat, but it his floor tom work that makes him great. Also, check out the drumroll at about 4:25 - Holy! Just wicked! Apparently, the subject is drug addiction and it always felt to me like an update of Hey Joe. "Cause fear is strong and love's for everyone who isn't me." Fear is a man's best friend......

8. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You - The Lemonheads

This is such a simple little, 3-chord singalong, one could almost overlook it, if not for the fact that the melody will follow you around forever after hearing it. It's poppy, goofy and oh-so-happy, but infectious as all get-out. Singer Evan Dando was deep into a drug problem then, but it was obviously the happy pills that he ingested that day. This is from the Car Button Cloth album, which would be their last for 8 years. I do so love that jangly guitar sound and when he breaks into a whistle, I can't help but smile. "If I could talk I'd tell you, if I could smile I'd let you know." Now that is wasted maaann!

7. Trash - Suede

Suede were another act that had massive popularity in their native U.K., but were merely a cult band over here. Led by the charismatic singer Brett Anderson, they had several chart hits in England and Europe, with this being one. Anderson channels a young Bowie here and his band comes off quite a bit like the Spiders too. They certainly sound all Glam-rock and must have listened to a T Rex record or 2 as well. The melody is gorgeous, especially the chorus, and the guitar twists its way all through the tune, carrying it along. This song is from their 3rd album, Coming Up, and their first without guitarist Bernard Butler. Critics thought they were finished when he left, but the 17 year-old Richard Oakes fills his shoes admirably. "But we're trash, you and me, we're the litter on the breeze, we're the lovers on the streets." Trash, go pick it up.....

6. One More Astronaut - I Mother Earth

Time for some Can-Con. This album, Scenery And Fish, was a big favourite of that year. Four of us, Cope, Flip, Niall and myself, would sit in my car at lunch at work and this record was blasted at top volume many times. This song has a great sound with a big, bold production. The band featured the Tanna brothers, Jag on guitar and Christian on drums, along with a singer, Edwin, who seemed to have no last name. This song is so powerful, with a crunching rhythm and roaring psychedelic guitars. Edwin was never my fave singer, but he gets the mood right here. I also love the nice Deep Purple organ break and then the little bass solo, that then leads to the guitar crashing back in. "Headspace, alive and painless, weightless and almost sane I close my eyes, I become the sky." 'Scuse me while I become the sky? No, that's not it.....

5. What I Got (Reprise) - Sublime

Gord was pointing out that these lists contain many songs by artists that I'm not a huge fan of. This is true and here is another one. I only like 2 songs by these guys, but they are 2 great songs. (The other would be Santeria if anyone was wondering.) I like the reprise version better too because I think the guitar is better than the regular version. This is from their self-titled 3rd album, which was released 3 months after the death of singer Brad Nowell from a heroin overdose. Critics and fans went crazy for them as they usually do when someone meets an untimely death, but this tune deserves any praise it ever gets. It is a funny hybrid of Rap, Ska and Folk, all wrapped in a melodic chorus that sticks in the head. Critics have said it brings to mind Lady Madonna, but I don't hear that really. "I don't cry when my dog runs away, I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay." I used to sing that to Arden when she would annoy me.....

4. Electrolite - R.E.M.

It would be very hard to pick 1 favourite album from these guys. I mean, they are near the top of my list as far as bands go and I love so many of their records. But, if pressed, I may just pick this album, their 10th, called New Adventures In Hi-Fi. It is the last record they did with drummer Bill Berry, who retired to sit home and count his money. Michael Stipe wrote it about the view of L.A. at night from Mullholland Drive, which is apparently quite spectacular. His delivery is soft and reverential, aided by the beautiful piano of bassist Mike Mills and the violin played by Andy Carlson. I remember Taylor loving this song and making me play it over and over again. "You are the star tonight, your sun electric, outta sight. Your light eclipsed the moon tonight." Beautiful.....

3. Stinkfist - Tool

How do I follow up a gorgeous song like Electrolite? How else but with a song whose title conjures up a very unflattering image? This song was accompanied by one of the most disturbing videos ever made. Remember, it was done in stop-motion animation with those gross sand people? Anyway, this band is again not usually on my radar, but this song is so undeniably powerful and I just freakin' love it. The feeling of paranoia is so palpable here, driven home by the disjointed beats and crunching guitars. Vocalist Maynard James Keenan sound alternately like a deranged madman and a scared little boy and this is also truly effective. Justin Chancellor riffs out maniacally on his bass and drummer Danny Carey pounds away with ear-splitting force. The damn song just gives me goosebumps, what else can I say? Check out the 3:50 mark - that's when I usually start bashing around the room like a lunatic. "Something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?" Good question...I do know that this is probably the first song ever to use a fisting metaphor.....

2. Outtasite (Outta Mind) - Wilco

This baby comes roaring out of the blocks with some chunky power chords. When listening on headphones, I have jumped out of my skin more than once with shocked surprise. This is the first song I ever heard by Wilco and they have gone on to become one of my fave bands since then. Taken from their sophomore record, Being There, this song has proven singalong integrity. I used to play it for Reed and Laura, Steve's kids, when I babysat them back in 2002. They would sing it at the top of their little lungs and we would dance around like Pigpen in the Charlie Brown cartoons, our heads flopping from side to side. This album was 2 discs, 1 electric and 1 acoustic and this is the only song that was on both discs in 2 versions. The reverb-drenched guitars are awesome and drummer Ken Coomer really pounds out a worthy backbeat. Jeff Tweedy has written his usual self-deprecating, clever lyrics and he sings them with unusual gusto. "I know we don't talk much but you're but you're such a good talker." Jane's theme song? Hee hee.

1. The Chad Who Loved Me - Mansun

These Brits weren't around long, but this song left such a lasting impression on me. It opens with gorgeous cinematic strings, like something out of a Bond film. Suddenly, the guitars come in, soaked in psychedelia, taking the Shoegaze genre to unheard of places. The guitarists name is Dominic Chad, hence the title I suppose. The vocals and guitars are all fed through phasers, giving the song a dream-like quality that just adds to its ethereal beauty. I cannot emphasize enough just how special the guitars are to this tune. This is, indeed, one of my favourite songs of all - just absolutely leaves me speechless and I could play it 100 times in a row and not get sick of it. This is from their debut album, Attack Of The Grey Lantern, and they never came close to these heights again. "Do I feel love or just possession? Do I feel holy or nothing at all?" Holy I'd say.....

2 comments:

  1. I looked up Dodgy on Itunes to hear the track and that album is not online. Their other albums are... odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite odd. Did you try Youtube? It's probably on there.

    ReplyDelete